Scripture to help us remember why we need to take care of our bodies!

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. NLT

Thursday, January 28, 2010

SUPER SALAD

As promised I have taken a picture of what I had for lunch today. It's a good way to include many of the super foods in one healthy meal!

WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR SUPER SALAD
*Spinach (Super Food Powerhouse)
*Romaine (It's fun to mix them together)
*Red Cabbage
*Tomato (Super Food)
*Orange and Red Bell Pepper (Part of the spinach family for superfoods)
*Carrots (I am in love with organic carrots right from the stem)
*Brocco Sprouts (Super Broccoli) (Broccoli sprouts provide ten to one hundred times the power of mature broccoli to neutralize carcinogens) (Superfoods Rx book)
*Extras, when I am done with my cleanse I will be adding the extra calories of dried cranberries and almonds (or any nuts and seeds you like) to my salad. It gives it a great taste and provides more amazing healthy nutrients that our body needs!
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar for my dressing. (Measure the amount you want. I put 1 TBSP on my salad and find it's enough)
Protein to add to your salad
*Wild Alaskan Salmon (4oz is all you need and it's plenty)
*1/2 cup of beans

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stacie! I am so excited about this blog! The fresh vac containers are exactly what I have been hoping for without even knowing they exist! ;) I do have a question... can you suggest some easy high protein snacks that pack well and are easy to consume on those crazy days at work when I can barely take a bathroom break? Just thought I'd pick your brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina, glad you like the containers...I just got another set of them in the mail today to store all my nuts and seeds in! Love them!! Some ideas for work for protein snacks are pack a handful of nuts. Some good nuts that have amazing health benefits are walnuts (one of the 14 superfoods)almonds and pistachios and for seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Moderation is key of course. Another super food is Soy if you can handle it. Rich sources of Soy are soy protein bars which have 14 grams of protein, and 1/4 cup of roasted soy nuts (unsalted) contain about 15 grams of protein. As you know, we should always try to avoid extra sodium so with all nuts try to get unsalted...I know they don't taste as good but your body will thank you:) The other quick idea is to make a protein shake and store it in the fridge and sneak it in the bathroom with you while you pee:) The kind of protein shake will depend on whether you want it to be more of a meal replacement or strickly a dose of protein. Another not so fun protein snack could be beans as mentioned above. Garbanzo beans are easily mobile and a good source of fiber. The other two super food proteins are Wild Salmon and Turkey breast but these may not fall into your quick snack idea. Good luck! Always available for you!
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete