Scripture to help us remember why we need to take care of our bodies!

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Don't you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. NLT

Saturday, February 27, 2010

SUPER PUMPKIN COOKIES


SUPERFOODS: Pumpkin, Walnuts, Wheat Germ, Flax Meal

I found a recipe and changed it to make it a bit healthier. Now keep in mind that healthy and cookie are two words that don't really go together BUT the good news is you can do things to a recipe to make it better for you AND instead of eating one, you can eat 3:) I put the original in parenthesis.


Here it is.


4oz butter (recipe called for 8oz)(1/2cup)

40z apple sauce (I used it for the remainder of the butter)(1/2cup)

1/2 cup raw sugar (recipe called for 1 cup of white sugar)

1/2 cup brown sugar (recipe called for 1 cup)

3 Tbsp of egg white (recipe called for 1 egg)

1 tsp of vanilla

2 cups of pumpkin (recipe called for 1 cup) I used fresh pumpkin I pureed this fall. You can use canned pumpkin. I'm not sure what size they come in but I'd recommend trying to get close to the 2 cup mark. You can never have too much pumpkin PLUS it's one of the superfoods!


Cream butter, apple sauce, sugars with a mixer

Add egg, vanilla, and pumpkin and blend together


In a separate bowl

1 1/2 cup oats (recipe calls for 1 cup)

1tsp baking powder

1 tsp of cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt (I didn't use salt)

I added 2Tbsp of flaxmeal and 2Tbsp of wheatgerm (recipe does not call for this)

1 1/2 cups of 100% whole wheat flour

1 cup of white flour (recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of white flour only)
I also added Walnuts. I didn't measure but I'd guess about 3/4 cup. It depends on how nutty you want them.
Obviously chocolate chips make any cookie better so you can always add them too.


Mix all of the dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture. Mixture will seem wet but just drop the dough on some parchment paper on a cookie sheet and they will bake just as they are dropped. They won't spread out so you will have a thick, soft, moist, yummy cookie!


Bake for 10 minutes at 350. I like my cookies more on the doughy side so test them at 10 min to see how you like them.


Have fun and let me know if you try them!


Canyon LOVED them and grabbed an extra when I wasn't looking:)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stacie! Thanks for the recipe. They were very yummy! Gracie helped me make them. I used all whole wheat flour and 2 egg whites (I didn't know how much 3T equaled). I am wondering if there is a way to get rid of the butter all together - don't have a solution to that one yet. I also added chocolate chips - about 1/2 c semi-sweet would be perfect! I am going to make a whole wheat pumpkin muffin recipe soon. I will pass it on if they turn out good. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete